Sunday, October 28, 2012

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Released: December 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 354
Synopsis: Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.


Novel by Daniel Handler | Art by Maira Kalman




My opinion :
     I did not like this book whatsoever.  The characters were not at all intriguing, and the storyline was bland and nothing exciting happened.  The only thing that made me read till the last page was my curiosity.  Why did they break up?!?  Sadly when I got to the end I was disappointed; it was a normal reason for a girl to be pissed at a guy and break up with him.  

     The protagonist  is swearing up and down throughout the whole novel; I don't care if she was mad.  I have a pet peeve; and that is the extensive use of swear words.  The one word that always made me want to put the book down was, 'G.D.' and it was used in almost every paragraph.  So, to be honest, I hated her.  She was annoying!  

     In my opinion, this book was not worth the twenty dollars I put into it.  It was pretty in design, I do admit that.  It would save you a lot of time just to skip to the last few chapters and find out why they broke up, honestly. 

Parental warning :
  • Excessive Cursing
  • Mild Sexual Content
  • Alcohol usage 
one out of five hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment